March 31, 2010

Great sense of accomplishment



These days ofcourse, it is limited to typing on a key board. I still derive pleasure from creating an article, whether or not for a specific purpose. that is why blogging is great. 
             But, every time a new technology threatens an old technique that everybody has mastered especially the ones you grow up valuing a lot, it is painful to watch those things drop in value and not be a great asset any more. The ones that I grew up valuing are writing skills [on paper], presentation skills and reading books [with paper]. Although presentation skills are not as much affected by the electronic world, writing and reading have undergone a dramatic change. Almost all writing and reading that i come across these days is electronic.
Writing skills have many facets, your language strength, vocabulary, sentence formations, grammar and your hand writing itself. 
              Although electronic writing helps you with your vocabulary, grammar and eliminates the aspect of handwriting, it still distinguishes a persons strength in the language and smart sentence formations, concise reporting, etc. But I do miss the dearness of having my own handwriting on my ideas or comments. I used to take pleasure in making my writing look pretty, very soon in school i realized that my fast handwriting which is primarily used while taking notes was terrible, but when i gave it the time it deserved, i could make the sentences look much better. I was recently penning down my thoughts on some work related issues and realized how much pleasurable it was to pen it down on a paper and see the results shape up.
              Also, talking about book reading which I also value a lot, recently I was traveling with my husband and happened to notice the penetration of E-book readers like the kindle. We sat next to a lady who was reading a book on Kindle and he asked me if I would enjoy reading a book on a e-book reader and if it would make any difference for me. My immediate reply was that I would not mind reading it on the electronic reader, once I get into the story. However I would definitely enjoy the literal 'page turning' more in an interesting book. Finishing a 998 'page' book, like Gone with the wind, gave me a great sense of accomplishment, as the accomplishment was very visual.
              When new technology comes out like computers, MS word, e-books and readers, it is initially very exciting. I am not even thinking about how some of these technologies are changing the way we do things around me. I am eager and happy to adapt to the new technology, but when the reality of change hits you and you realize there is no going back, it sure is a little painful. I think it is because deep down, we all enjoy our times as a kid and everything associated with growing up, we hold dear in our heart. 

Most people refer to this as the 'Good Old Days'. i say, those were the 'Good Young Days!' :)

                
              
              

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 31, 2010

Great sense of accomplishment



These days ofcourse, it is limited to typing on a key board. I still derive pleasure from creating an article, whether or not for a specific purpose. that is why blogging is great. 
             But, every time a new technology threatens an old technique that everybody has mastered especially the ones you grow up valuing a lot, it is painful to watch those things drop in value and not be a great asset any more. The ones that I grew up valuing are writing skills [on paper], presentation skills and reading books [with paper]. Although presentation skills are not as much affected by the electronic world, writing and reading have undergone a dramatic change. Almost all writing and reading that i come across these days is electronic.
Writing skills have many facets, your language strength, vocabulary, sentence formations, grammar and your hand writing itself. 
              Although electronic writing helps you with your vocabulary, grammar and eliminates the aspect of handwriting, it still distinguishes a persons strength in the language and smart sentence formations, concise reporting, etc. But I do miss the dearness of having my own handwriting on my ideas or comments. I used to take pleasure in making my writing look pretty, very soon in school i realized that my fast handwriting which is primarily used while taking notes was terrible, but when i gave it the time it deserved, i could make the sentences look much better. I was recently penning down my thoughts on some work related issues and realized how much pleasurable it was to pen it down on a paper and see the results shape up.
              Also, talking about book reading which I also value a lot, recently I was traveling with my husband and happened to notice the penetration of E-book readers like the kindle. We sat next to a lady who was reading a book on Kindle and he asked me if I would enjoy reading a book on a e-book reader and if it would make any difference for me. My immediate reply was that I would not mind reading it on the electronic reader, once I get into the story. However I would definitely enjoy the literal 'page turning' more in an interesting book. Finishing a 998 'page' book, like Gone with the wind, gave me a great sense of accomplishment, as the accomplishment was very visual.
              When new technology comes out like computers, MS word, e-books and readers, it is initially very exciting. I am not even thinking about how some of these technologies are changing the way we do things around me. I am eager and happy to adapt to the new technology, but when the reality of change hits you and you realize there is no going back, it sure is a little painful. I think it is because deep down, we all enjoy our times as a kid and everything associated with growing up, we hold dear in our heart. 

Most people refer to this as the 'Good Old Days'. i say, those were the 'Good Young Days!' :)

                
              
              

No comments:

Post a Comment